The days are starting to blend together, and I’m not sure what the date is. The whole nation is stuck at home and that means no time off as parents to partake in a date night. I can’t even remember the last time my husband and I went out for drinks and dinner or a movie, I’m not sure when we’ll ever be able to get to do that again (although I’m hoping sooner than later).
But just because we’re stuck inside 24/7 for the time being doesn’t mean you can’t get creative with how you “go” on a date with your partner. My husband is currently at home for the time being and while I’m grateful, I’m also a bit frustrated given he’s now messing with my stay-at-home mom way of things. Add in being with each other morning, noon and night makes for some very irritated moments.
I’m sure I’m not the only person feeling this way and think that a mock “date night” at home would definitely help refresh our relationship (as it would probably help yours, too). In fact, committing to dates during this crazy time we’re all living in is actually healthy for your relationship. That way, you’re constant nagging feeling about your partner being around 24/7 goes away (at least for a little bit).
So here are some ideas on how to have a date night despite being in a pandemic, with no where to go but home.
- Order some food from your favorite restaurant, put the kids to sleep, turn down the lights, light some candles, put on some soft jazz (or tunes) and eat as if you’re at an actual restaurant and on a date. Go the extra mile and dress up. Do some dancing and sip on your favorite homemade cocktails! It’s takes some planning and coordinating, but it’ll be all worth it when you finish the night reconnected and feeling closer to your partner.
- Sign up for an online workout class from a local business and sweat it out together while the kids are busy playing or gettin in extra screen time. Finish it off with some brunch!
- After the kids are asleep, find a movie or Netflix show to watch and sip on new cocktail recipes. Use the alcohol base your partner loves and then get creative with new recipes to try out new drinks you can order when you finally do make it out for a real date.
- Learn a new skill with each other. Maybe it’s a new language, drawing, pottery, gardening, etc.! Now’s the perfect time to connect while learning something new with each other.
- Tour the world. Take a trip to a famous museum like the Lourve or visit a national park for fun. Add in some food and drinks and you’ve got somewhere to visit every night if you’d like!
- Have a home spa experience for two. Have facials, manicures, pedicures and top it off with some sensual massages!
- Indulge in game night without the kids! Add in some favorite treats, libations and games and you’ve got some friendly competition. To take it up a notch, have a date night with friends on Zoom. Just make sure they have the same game.
- Try your at at finally finishing that home project you’ve been wanting to do forever (but never had the chance).
- Have a video game tournament. My husband and I used to have wii tournaments until the early morning pre kids and plan to do it again during this pandemic! We also loved rocking out to Garage Band, too!
- Enjoy some quiet time with each other and just reminisce about the past. Smile, laugh, cry and just enjoy each other’s company and the good ol’ memories.
- Cook a meal together. And we don’t mean a typical spaghetti night, either. Really push yourselves to cook a culinary masterpiece you would have never tried otherwise.
- Have a picnic under the stars (weather permitting, of course). The perfect date night is one where the kids are asleep already, which is why you’ll want to have your picnic at night. Set up the mood with candles, music and food in your backyard (or front yard) and enjoy each other’s company. Talk about your goals, future, fears, and share whatever else in on your mind.
- Have a virtual double date with your couple friends. Get on zoom and just hang out and talk as if you were at an actual bar or meeting in person.
- Role Play with each other and pretend you’re other people. This idea is for night when you really want to add some spice into your relationship because this will usually lead to some bedroom fun!
- The classic dinner and a movie date. You can never go wrong with a dinner and an at-home movie. To make it more special, choose a new movie that’s out (that skipped the theater) and order out! It’s a classic for a reason.
Have any other date night ideas to add to our list? Let us know! And don’t forget to check out our other stay sane at home ideas!