When anxiety and stress become so overwhelming, it can feel like it has taken over our thoughts. As a reiki master, I recommend a simple grounding exercise to help quiet your mind. Grounding is a brief period of meditation that helps to calm and center your body and mind.
- Sit comfortably with your spine straight and your hands resting in your lap.
- Close your eyes and begin to breathe deeply. Take two to three cleansing breaths.
- Clear your mind of any negativity, fear or distractions. If you find your mind wondering, gently refocus your thoughts.
- Visualize your spine strengthening into a thick tree root growing from the bottom of your body into the earth.
- Visualize this strong root branching off into many more roots that spread and go deep into the earth.
- Imagine that these strong roots that you have grown have anchored themselves to the depths of the earth.
- Imagine a thick, luxurious mud bath rising up from the earth and enveloping you up to your waist.
- With your roots deep within the earth and the mud around you, take three to four steady breaths as you soak up the strength and energy of the earth.
- Imagine a pure, white light above your head, enveloping you in a warm, loving light.
- Visualize this light coming into your body through the top of your head (crown chakra) and filling your heart with light and love.
- Hold onto this visualization for as long as you feel comfortable.
- Take two to three deep breaths and open your eyes.
It is important to understand that there is no right or wrong way to meditate. It is normal for your thoughts to wonder and to get distracted. Calming anxiety is never easy. I meditate fairly regularly and still find my thoughts going all over the place. Be kind and gentle with yourself when calming anxiety.