Are you starting to envision strangling your significant other after being cooped up together for so long?
You are not alone!
The ongoing joke is that after this pandemic, there will be a baby boom and a divorce boom. Well, there are a few things that you can do to help and maybe even enjoy the time with your spouse. My husband and I have been preparing for this for the past five years. He works out in the field, but has A LOT of downtime. We always comment on how the only couples we know that spend as much time together are his grandparents.
Photo by Toa Heftiba on Unsplash
Don’t worry, this will all be over soon. In the meantime, here are some methods to stay sane…. and married:
- Board games! If you don’t already play games with your spouse, this is a fantastic way to pass the hours—games like Uno, Phase 10, Monopoly, Trivial Pursuit, Puzzles, etc. There are infinite selections at any big box stores or Amazon.
- Movie night, separate. Sometimes a good movie and couch cuddle is great! But sometimes it feels good to lay by yourself and watch whatever you want. Every so often, my husband and I give each other a kiss, and we relax separately.
- Don’t forget your spouse is completely out of his norm too. I always joke that they need structure and obedience, just like the dog and kids. While your partner is at home, don’t expect him to offer to clean the house and rub your feet suddenly. Take the initiative to let him know that dishes go in the sink, not the coffee table, and ask him to help.
- Get outside together! Quarantine doesn’t mean you have to stay inside all day. We love going for an evening stroll after dinner. It’s great for the kids and the dog too. Another way we get outside together is just sitting on the porch rocking and talking while the kids play.
- Family meals are the best way to connect positively. We cook together (sometimes) but always sit down at the table together. This time is technology-free and is almost always the best part of the day.
This will all be over someday (hopefully soon) and maybe the outcome is a restored or newfound friendship with your significant other. If all else fails, wine time!
Best of luck for all the married couples out there!